Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Airport, also known as Hindon Air Base, is a military airbase located in Uttar Pradesh, India. It serves as a significant air base for the Indian Air Force (IAF) and is one of Asia’s largest air force stations. The air base is home to several fighter aircraft, transport aircraft, and helicopter units.
Hindon Air Base was established in the early 1940s and had a rich history of serving as a critical airbase during India’s wars with Pakistan and China. Today, it serves as a crucial hub for military operations and training and supports the Indian Air Force’s transport and helicopter units.
In addition to its military functions, Hindon Air Base also operates as a civil enclave, allowing commercial air traffic to use the airbase for domestic and international flights. The airbase has modern facilities and infrastructure, including a giant runway, aircraft hangars, maintenance facilities, and support buildings.
Overall, Hindon Air Base plays an essential role in India’s military defense and aviation industries and remains a crucial airbase for the Indian Air Force.
Here are some facts about Hindon Air Base:
- Established in 1940: Hindon Air Base was established in 1940 and has been an active airbase since then.
- Location: The base is located near the city of Ghaziabad in Uttar Pradesh, India. It is situated approximately 40 kilometers northeast of New Delhi.
- Home to the Indian Air Force: Hindon Air Base is the home to several units of the Indian Air Force, including the No. 28 Squadron “First Supersonics.”
- Significant role in Indian military history: Hindon Air Base has played a significant role in Indian military history, especially during the India-Pakistan War of 1965 and the Kargil Conflict in 1999.
- Civilian airport: Hindon Air Base also serves as a civilian airport, with daily flights to destinations such as Agra, Jaipur, and Lucknow.
- Modern facilities: The airbase has facilities and infrastructure to support the Indian Air Force and its aircraft.
- Hosts air shows: Hindon Air Base also hosts airshows and exhibitions, showcasing the capabilities of the Indian Air Force and its aircraft to the public.
Can civilians visit the whole Hindon Air Base?
No, Hindon Air Base is a military airfield and is not open to the general public. Access to the base is restricted to authorized personnel only, and civilian visitors are not usually allowed. Security measures at the base are strict and are designed to ensure the safety and security of the personnel, facilities, and equipment. Visitors who are not authorized personnel may only be granted access in exceptional circumstances and with prior permission from the relevant authorities.
In conclusion, Hindon Air Base is a critical military airfield in Uttar Pradesh, India. It is primarily used for military operations and training exercises. Although you may use it for special or chartered flights, commercial air traffic is not typically available at Hindon. Suppose you are interested in traveling to or from Hindon. In that case, it is best to check with local airlines or travel agencies to determine if any flights are available and to learn more about the procedures for civilian travel.